SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southdakotadaylily

Hats off to Stella for seed production

southdakotadaylily
16 years ago

I salute Stella DÂ Oro for her seed production

I need to qualify this.

1) This is my first year of trying to cross daylilies.

2) My 3 Stella plants are 3 years old, while majority of my daylilies are planted new this spring. But I have 6 other daylilies that are two years old.

3) I know people think Stella is a boring daylily. I agree when almost every yard has only StellaÂs, it is rather boring.

But that being said, from June 1 onward, Stella continually put up new scrapes. I probably averaged 5-10 blossoms everyday since June 1 between the three plants.

I tried crossing everything with everything this year. But because there were continually new scrapes on my StellaÂs, I crossed almost every diploid I have with Stella. I would say I averaged 75% pollination on the Stella Blossoms. I now have around 2000 to 3000 seeds in the fridge or still drying, waiting for January to plant. 80% of them from my 3 Stella plants. The three StellaÂs are still putting up scrapes, blooming and producing seeds. I think I am going to start clipping the new scrapes to allow the plants to be able to store some energy for winter. But I just want to say, yes Stella may be boring, but what an amazing workhorse when it comes to being a productive parent and producing seeds.

(Now I just hope the seeds will grow, and not all will be boring seedlings).

Comments (3)