SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Are my hosta Patriot or Minuteman? Can you tell the difference?

My interest in hosta began in 2011 and that year I bought four hosta labelled "Patriot." Two were from one big box store and two from another. This 2013 season, three out of four Patriots did well, except one.

Of the three remaining, I realized that one was lighter green than the other two. Could it be that I have Patriot and Minuteman? So I did some searching.

Here is what Zilis says in The Hostapedia are some DIFFERENCES:

Minuteman has a white margin; is ovate shaped, sometimes cupped and slightly wavy; rare seed formation; scapes 23-33"; differs from Patriot as it has whiter margins and a darker green center.

Patriot's margins are creamy yellow early, then white by early summer; sparse seed formation; scapes 30"; ovate shaped, slightly wavy, smooth textured.

So for this coming 2014 season I will be more aware of coloration, stalk size and seed pod formation etc. This, I hope, will bring some clarity.

Unfortunately, I did cut the flower stalk off of one of the three hostas prior to taking the picture below. Zilis says that Minuteman rarely forms seed pods and Patriot forms sparse seed pods. So from my photo you can see that one Patriot has no seed pods and the other has sparse seed pods. Well, that's interesting!

Does anyone have any comments on whether my Patriots are really Patriot? Can YOU tell the difference? (If it would be helpful, I have a couple more photos I can post.)

The whirly birds (maple tree seeds) fell ALL SEASON last year! It was so messy as you can see in the photo. Those darn maple trees!

Comments (27)