SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comettose

Help with IDs - 7 Plants (6 photos) - Thanks!

comettose
17 years ago

Hi,

I grew these from cuttings and have no idea on the specific names. Any help is greatly appreciated. If you know please respond by photo # so I don't get confused. Thanks. CT

#1 Round leaf with speckles (not heart shaped - see below)

{{gwi:931648}}

#2 This leaf has veins and is not a common hoya carnosa. The leaf is thin, brittle or stiff, and has green veins.

{{gwi:931649}}

#3 and #4 The one with the light yellow/green leaf with dark green veins and the one under it with small round leaves (sorry the photo of the little one is not great), but the leaves are chain like along the stem and it has been a slow grower, sending up multiple stems with this chain-like pattern of leaves along the stem.

{{gwi:931650}}

#5 Heart shaped varigated or mottled leaves. The stem on this one is quite thick and sturdy. Mottling is white to yellow-white. Very thick, stiff leaves.

{{gwi:931651}}

#6 This one has long leaves with white, pink and a red edge. There is ribbing and veining, and the leaf texture is somewhat puckered in appearance.

{{gwi:931652}}

#7 Long slender leaves with a dark edge. New growth is bronze-green.

{{gwi:931654}}

Comments (17)

• User
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi CT,

I'll get the ball rolling with:

Certain IDs:

#1 large round leaves = Obovata (one of my favorites)

#5 stiff, heart shaped leaves = Kerrii

Guesses:

#2 Pachyclada

#3 Findlaysonii

#7 Kentiana

#4 small round leaves, need a better pic, but am guessing Nummularioides (aka its old name = Pubera) from the look of the pix; from your chain-like description maybe Serpens

#6 no idea, gorgeous, whatever it is, would love to know that one's name so I can look for it myself.

Your plants all look happy & healthy, keep doing whatever you're doing as you seem to have the right care & conditions.

Where'd you get these cuttings, swaps? Surprised they came w/ no names.

• comettose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, thanks pirate girl! Yes, they were trades with a person in FL that I do not have her email any longer. I said I wanted some hoya and I gave her miscellaneous orchids and other tropical plant cuttings. She did not name any of them, but said one was rare, but I don't know which one! Maybe she forgot - I do that all the time with many of the plants I grow.

I took the cuttings and stuck the stems in root hormone, potted them in a humous enriched, but well drained soil, and enclosed the plant (pot and all) in plastic bags and left them until they rooted.

After they rooted I put them outside on a partially shaded porch, grouped with lots of other plants. Right now they are inside in a extremely sunny eastern exposure window.

I water once a week (or less) in winter and more in summer and I fertilize year round with an extremely weak solution of liquid fertilizer almost every time I water. I mist them twice or more per day in winter. They drain almost immediately when watered, but I leave the water in the tray. Roots have grown out the holes and into the water in the tray on some of them.

One of them bloomed last summer but for the life I me I don't recall which one. I'll have to be better about recording that. The blooms were dark red, unlike the regular blooms I get on 3 Hoya carnosa I have. They all started from one or two leaves and a piece of stem.

I really love hoya flowers, remembering one from my childhood my Mother had that had the sweetest fragrance. Now, they don't always have a fragrance, except when the weather is hot and humid. They did attract bees though. All of these plants have lots of nubs on the stems so I hope to get more blooms next summer. I am going to repot all of them to separate containers. I had stuck multiple leaves in those pots to save on space during rooting, but they need to go into their own containers now. One thing I was thinking of doing, was looping around at least one of the long stems on the plants that have them, and pinning the stem into the soil, once I repot, to make the plants fuller, hoping that one stem will root along the way. You think that would work?

Hey, I can send you a cutting of #6 if you like. Email me at 123susan58@tqci.net (I should have that email about 1 more month). Once you email I will give you my new email - which I don't put on forums, and I can send you a cutting. I also have another rooted cutting that DID come with a tag (from another person), and believe it or not it has been in a ziploc bag, with no soil, for at least a year now. It has roots all over the place and new leaves too. I feel so quilty I've not planted it! That one is called Pubicalyx 'Royal Hi Purple'. It came from Hawaii. I can split that cutting in half and send you that one too.

I don't know much about hoyas other than I like them and they seem easy to grow - not too fussy like some tropicals. Please send me an email if you are interested. Thanks again for the IDs! Something to get me started. I have been looking for a good Hoya book (one with lots of color photographs) but can't find one for the life of me! You'd think there would be tons of books like that for sale!

CT

• Related Discussions

7 Plant 's ID help needed

Q

Comments (16)
    Ditto that for motherwort. Motherwort's seeds are smaller, have flat sides, and are roughly triangular shaped. And no as well for the Borago (Borage) that you said was suggested. Borage's seeds are larger and look like hand-grenades not to mention the rest of the plant is wrong too. Did you ever see the plant in bloom? Bloom color? If it wasn't an amaranth, I had been wondering if it was maybe an Agastache (hyssop) but I believe your seeds are too large for that too. FataMorgana
    ...See More

Help ID'ing this plant(photos)

Q

Comments (2)
    It looks to me like a curry leaf. Scientific name Murraya koenigii. It's native to India and Sri Lanka...
    ...See More

Help ID'ing this plant(photos)

Q

Comments (2)
    It would be easier with the branch in my hands (as you have it), but even from the pictures, it took me about 15 minutes online to google the search terms you were *handed* about this plant, and narrow it down to a few possibles. It took another 10 to go through pictures for the possibles, and get it to one. (((Are weeping cherry or black tupelo (of all things...) used in South Asian cooking???))) Now, do your own homework!! Follow the trail of breadcrumbs you were given! Use your brain, and track it down. Then, if you need to be sure, use your nose. Crush a leaf and smell it. And talk to someone who cooks. Again..... Do your own homework!
    ...See More

Help, Id this plant with 7 compound leaves

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks "ademink" (for some reason your comment doesn't show up here), most of the Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima) photos I found online, that appear to be about the same height as my example (about 4 feet), have by then developed many more than 7 compound leaves and most have woody, brown colored stems, there is a photo at https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/tree-heaven-ailanthus and https://extension.umass.edu/landscape/weeds/ailanthus-altissima that contains 7 leaflets (and even 1 with 5) but it also has very brown stems and a central leader that is very reddish/brown. That is why I sort of ruled out trees when I started to ID this plant. Also, as "RugbyHukr" mentioned, Sambucus looks like another likely candidate. I am going to try and revisit the site , re-find the plant, to get some more detailed photos. I will keep you posted, thanks for the feedback.
    ...See More
  • comettose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I found #3 when searching today. H. vitellinoides

I found a site called Big Island Growers that has some good photographs of many kinds. But, after looking at many #2 becomes more of a puzzle as there are a number that have that same leaf, but differing flowers. Wow - didn't know Hoyas were so complicated!

I was going to post a link to the photo of #2 I found, but that grower is banned from GW. Oooops, I didn't know. I was thinking of maybe buying, but I think trading at GW is the way to go!

Still seeking input as I keep searching and comparing to on-line photos. Thanks!

CT

• fred_grow
    17 years ago

CT you have very nice Hoyas. That obovata is very pretty. I think I need one of those.

• User
    17 years ago

CT,

What a wonderful & generous offer, I'd like to take you up on it. Just got cold here in NYC in the last wk, not the best time for trading (too cold to ship plants), but I'll be in FLA (Ft. Lauderdale) on from Jan 31 thru Feb. 6, maybe we can work something out there. I hope to be in touch privately, or at least here, but more later.

I should have guessed, such Happy & Healthy Hoyas = FLA, (Calif or Hawaii) ... green w/ envy!

Fred: Obovata is one of my faves, sturdy, easy, good grower & best part - no muss no fuss. IMO one of the most handsome Hoya leaves of all! Do I recall you're in NJ (I wish this were listed on Member Pages)?

If you can wait 'til Spring, maybe we can swap, if not I'd understand.

• acsagapeplants
    17 years ago

CT #6 is a variegated macrophylla and #4 looks more like dischidia geri to me. Your hoyas are very pretty and healthy looking!!

• hills
    17 years ago

It's very hard to identify hoyas from leaves alone, however, my two cents:
    1 may be australis - they have very rounded leaves, but I've never seen any that thick before.
    2 looks like my pentaphlebia leaves - compare with

3 and 5 are as said before, vitellinoides and kerrii.
    Your last one I don't know. It could be kentiana, also possibly minibelle, but I came across a picture of a wayetti while I was looking for the minibelle and it has those purplish bits on the leaves. I wonder if it could be that... have a look on the link at the bottom

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayetti (bottom left hand corner)

• gabro14
    17 years ago

Gorgeous hoyas :-)
    Since there are many different opinions, I'll throw mine in.

I'm SURE of these:
    1=Obovata
    5=Kerrii
    7=Kentiana

I'm not so sure of this, but it sure looks like it:
    4=Nummularioides

• comettose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks all for the compliments on my cuttings. I promise you it was sheer dumb luck they grew as I have no clue what I am doing and at times I'm sure they suffered from just that exact right combination of benign neglect! I have learned recently not to cut off spent flowers! Ooops - that is standard practice in the non-hoya arena!

It is exciting to get all these names and I promise to write them down and put a stick in each plant!

Wow - I have lots of guesses and some concensus too. I will copy all of the names and look for links and photos.

Thanks for the ID on the variegated macrophylla and I'll check out the other.

hills, you might be correct on the Wayetti. The one in the gentleman's photo has more color but that could be due to growing conditions, but the leaf shape and habit are the same. Your link provided me a name on another hanging basket hoya I didn't post a photo. His H. curtisii (Thailand "larger leaf") is a dead ringer for a large hanging plant I keep at my kitchen sink window. It has never bloomed.

Pirate girl - I don't know about shipping now as it is cold where I live right now too. I'm in MD. We had our first snow a few days ago! If you send an email I'll reply with my new email address, so we are set with a firm address/email so I can send you the cuttings in spring. That email I left won't be around for too much longer though as I am getting rid of it (it's dial up for crying out loud:-)

Thanks again folks - what a great start point for enhancing my searches. Hoyas are tough to ID!

Oh, wanted to ask again - any good Hoya books out there? I have looked and looked to no avail. It's seems a shame that such great plants don't have a book to themselves that also has tons of color photographs (my favorite type plant books).

CT

• comettose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was searching H. australis and found this site. This being a hoya forum I imagine you folks have seen the site before maybe. I didn't delve too deep into the site, but on first glance it does look informative with lots of photos and other links from it that claim lots of photos.

Hey, sorry if I'm not supposed to post links, but I tend to do that when I find one that I think might be nice to share:-)

CT

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya Link

• hills
    17 years ago

I just came back to this thread because I just saw a photo of obovata, and I agree with gabro. I wasn't sure about the australis ID as the leaves just looked too thick.

Rainbow Gardens have a selection of hoya books, but you will find as you learn more about these plants, there seem to be a few camps of people who are "experts" and they don't tend to agree with each other very well, so you may buy a book and then find that in fact the other camp doesn't agree with some (or indeed, most) of the identifications. Sigh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Gardens

• comettose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks hills! How did the hoya plant get into such a quagmire? That aspect of it I find disheartening. CT

• langlin2000
    17 years ago

I find the "such a quagmire" aspect of the hoya the most exciting thing about them. they are a true example of evolution as the have adapted to different parts of the world and have changed as needed. The fact that they change so readily probably means there are thousands that are "similiar" but not exactly the same. I have personally had hoya that have put on all new leaves that look nothing like the original ones that were on the plant when I got it and that is what makes them so hard (and so fun) to ID.

-Leon

• User
    17 years ago

CT,

Yeah. Hoya IDing can be quite a mess w/ the warring factions. I try not to pay too much attention to that & grow them for love of the beautiful plants themselves (& fabulous, varied foliage).

The only book I've seen personally is The Hoya Handbook, by Dale Kloppenberg: said to have a number of mistakes, so perhaps if you buy try to buy it 2nd hand only. I was lucky enough to have friends lend me theirs, I enjoyed it for a year & then returned it.

BTW, am CERTAIN of my Obovata ID, no question abt it. Have had one for a number of years, quite thick, cardboard feeling leaves (recently got my 1st all green Australis, leaves are much, much thinner & not so round).

• fred_grow
    17 years ago

Hi PG,
    I tried to e-mail you through the forum. Did you receive it?

• User
    17 years ago

Hi Fred,

Yep, just haven't had a chance to respond yet, super busy at work. Thx, I'll get back to ya.

(PG) Karen

• comettose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I found new IDs for #2, #3 and #6 on the other thread that had a link to Ted's Hoyas. The leaves look identical. Oh well, hoyas ID'ing has become a bit nerve racking for me.

H. Dolichosparte #2

H. meredithii #3

H. latifolia #6 (which said leaves can turn pink or red with high light - which mine is in very intense light).

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz