SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hostapumpkinman

Calling All Streakers

hostapumpkinman
17 years ago

My wish list for this year has a lot of streaked hostas.Are they the latest fad in hostas?The more that I look for different hostas, the more I realize that there does not seem to be a big difference in streaked hostas.In your opinion what are the best streaked hostas that can be bought under 30 dollars. Are they a relatively new thing or am I just starting to notice them.

Phil

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

just starting to notice... been around forever.. when i started 10 to 15 years ago ... they were 100 to 500 dollars apiece .... go figure on that ...

why do you want streakers????

you can have a lot of fun by buying or getting some seed from streaked mommas ... and just fooling around with them growing your own ....

or you will want a specific plant for its genes and what it can pass along to its seeds by way of DNA, because you have some ultimate breeding goals ...

its just what you want to pay for them ... ken

• Lykaon - Ohio Zone 6a
    17 years ago

I got a 100+ streked seeds for around $3. They were a mixed bag of seeds from someone elses breeding program. You can get named seeds for only slightly more.

From there all it takes is one lucky strike and you've got your own streaker.

I too agree that most streakers have the same look with the main difference being the leaf shape or color.

• Related Discussions

Found Streaker for $5.00...Is it IAT?

Q

Comments (8)
    Doesn't look like my IAT. IAT is more ovate and has some cupping to the leaves. This one is rounder and has a leaves that point downward. Wendy, it's hard to tell if this is healthy or not, because we don't know what it's supposed to be. If I were you I'd consider testing it. At the very least keep it in a pot and be careful working on it, until you know for sure what it is and if it's healthy. It is typical of retailers to put diseased plants "on sale." Steve
    ...See More

Is this Sansevieria trifasciata 'Streaker' ?

Q

Comments (17)
    Yeah Guys, ouch indeed Stush! One never knows when something like this can come up. My Chiropractor recently recommended some Capsaicin creme (from the active ingredient of PEPPERS) to relieve some arthritic joint pain. So late at night half asleep, I rubbed some on my hips, rolled over & went back to sleep. Do I need to mention that half asleep, w/out having wiped off my fingers I rubbed my eyes? Yikes, I fully woke up w/ start, chastizing myself for being such an idiot as to rub a pepper-based ointment near my eyes. Burned a bit, fortunately was only around the skin & lids, not in my eyes directly; so lucky! Think I need to keep some gloves w/ the tube of cream!! Live & learn!!
    ...See More

? Mystery Plant ? - Calling All Plant Know-It-Alls :) Try this one!

Q

Comments (1)
    Euphorbia leuconeura
    ...See More

Streakers Spring 2018

Q

Comments (54)
    If Gunther's Prize came with some green leaves with a yellow edge, you might be able to complain. If it came with streaked leaves, there's no way the vendor could have known it would stabilize. Well, stabilize immediately. Unfortunately Gunther's Prize turns into Gunther's Rim pretty regularly. It's not a reversion, just the stable form. Are all the leaves Gunther's Rim, no streaking at all? Is there more than one eye? My G.P. put out a stabilizing eye it's second year. I took it off and replanted it. To my surprise, it went back to being streaked, and now looks better than the original plant. Did you plant it in a fair amount of sun? Mine gets direct sun from mid afternoon to sunset.
    ...See More
  • papou
    17 years ago

Streaked hostas have intrigued me for a while, but when I learned that they were unstable...and they could revert back to their solid form...etc...that was enough for me.
    Here's an excerpts of a previous thread:

favorite streakers?
    Posted by HeatherMac z4QueCanada (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 10:36
    I would like to buy more streaked hostas but with a limited budget I want to make sure they are hardy (zone 4-5) and have good enough substance to look good all summer. What would you recommend? Which are your favorites? Heather
    Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: favorite streakers?
    Posted by: Hostarox z5 (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 11:11
    It depends on whether you want the seeds or not. Ones I love that set seed really well are Galaxy, William Lachman, Green Marmalade, and Breeder's Choice Streaked. Others I love that rarely or never set seed are Don Quixote, Blizzard, Savannah Supreme, Marbled Cream, Fire and Brimstone and Gunthers' Prize. Also, remember that most of these must be "maintained" to keep them streaky.
    · Posted by: tsbccowboy MN (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 11:15
    New this year for me is William Lachman, from White Oak. For a streaker I thought it was reasonably priced. It gets good light but not much direct sun. Cowboy
    Here is a link that might be useful: William Lachman on 8/12/05
    · Posted by: ken_adrian z5 Adrian,MI (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 11:24
    'breeders choice' is a streaked plant ... no such thing as breeders choice 'streaked' ... lots of breeders choice 'edged', though ... for zone 4 .. any streaked fragrant hosta will be hard to get seeds off of, since they dont flower until later in the summer ... and they may not ripen in time .... i like all the streakers, whether they set seed or not .. maybe because they are like me... unstable... lol ken
    what I bought.....
    · Posted by: Hostarox z5 (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 11:36
    Ken, when I bought it, it was called Breeders' Choice Streaked. It's also listed as such in the 2005 hostafinder with 4 vendors carrying it.
    · Posted by: playinmud Z6 NJ (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 12:17
    How does one maintain a streaker?? PIM
    · Posted by: marriedtomud Z5Michigan (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 12:30
    Hi Heather Before you spend your Streaker budget take my advise and go see some of them growing in gardens. They look a world of difference from some of their pictures. I too am a big fan of streakers (unstable could well be the reason Ken...LOL) and was able to collect a few this season. 'William Lachman' was my first and I love the form and hardiness of the leaves. It's still holding up well this late in the season and I'm in zone 5. 'Misty Gold' is one that I got late in the season and I'm pleased as can be with. It has a ruffled edge and an upright form but is more a mottled color than streaked. I just got a small baby 'Breeder's Choice' from Ken and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a favorite. Two weeks ago he was kind enough to invite me out to his home for a garden tour and to collect some streaker seeds. It was one of the most enlightening and fun days I've had in a garden. I couldn't do it justice to just tell you the day's events but know that if you are ever invited to tour a major collectors garden by all means possible do it....especially if it's Kens. Most of the seeds we gathered are opened and cured now. A few of the late bloomers are still curing in sugar water. Ken's 'Marbled Cream','Don Quixote', and 'Savannah Supreme' all had seeds....as did his Plantagenia. I liked all the streakers but a couple of Ken's that stood out to me were his seedling by 'Dorothy Benedict' (Those seeds are just about to start opening) 'Lakeside Knickknack' and 'White Angel'. Curtis/m2m
    · Posted by: Papou Z5b Ontario (ghislainseguin@yahoo.ca) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 12:33
    Hello Heather, Hey, we missed each other this year. Last time we visited each other was during Summer 2004. I remember you were interested in Pandora's Box and Risky Business....next year.... OK for the streakers, I have Korean Snow, Ice Age Trail, Savannah Supreme, Sally and Bob, and Blue Shadows...all available in Canada at reasonable price. Next year, I'll be looking for: Lakeside Mom, Galaxy Light, Flamboyant, Gunther's Prize, Blizzard and Christmas Tree Gala. Papou (Ghislain)
    · Posted by: Papou Z5b Ontario (ghislainseguin@yahoo.ca) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 12:43
    PIM, What I understand from streakers is that some of them are very unstable. Somebody can correct me but when Roxanne says they have to be "maintained" she means that in order for the hosta to remained "streaked" you have to divide it after a certain number of years. Papou
    · Posted by: Highjack z6 KY (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 12:53
    I think maintaining the streaked version means to divide it when an eye goes to a solid color or if an eye stabilizes into a pattern. If all the eyes remain streaked, you leave them alone. My favorite streaker is Christmas Tree Gala. I have many other streakers but this is the one I look at every day in awe. I love everything about it - the streaking, the dark green between the streaks, the bumples on it and it is a strong grower.

· Posted by: marriedtomud Z5Michigan (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 13:17
    PIM Maintenance for streakers can be a bit of trial and error also. When a streaked Hosta starts to revert to a solid form some people divide the solid eyes out completely while others cut the solid leaves back and hope for the new leaves to come back streaked. Some discard the solid eyes and some keep them planted elsewhere. This particular topic was one that showed up clearly at Kens. He had a solid division of a streaker that he had divided off and grew nearby. The solid plant had given him back a new eye that was streaked (and very nicely formed) and also had several scapes that were well streaked and had seed pods. The genetic 'pool' is still there and can show up whenever circumstances warrant. Hi Highjack I too like 'CTG'. Ken had a seeedling by 'Christmas Tree Gala' that was beautiful. Some of his seedlings were nicer than their parent plants IMHO. Curtis/m2m
    · Posted by: Hey_J z5b Dayton Oh. (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 13:41
    Is there a "striped" version of varigation? I've seen some leaves that I would be more inclined to refer to as "striped" rather than "streaked"! I ask this, because of the "Francee" sport I have that has strong streaks or stripes of white, green and yellow/gold! I'm curious if "Francee" has sported before like mine, since she is a proliferate "sporter" and if there is a "name" registered for one like mine?
    · Posted by: lavendargrrl 7b NC (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 14:01
    Janice- that Francee is very pretty! ~Angie
    · Posted by: marriedtomud Z5Michigan (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 14:56
    Janice Your Francee sport looks very similar to 'Flamboyant' in that it's white margained and has striped markings. Still beautiful. I see that yours is showing a flower. Was it fertile? Curtis/m2m

· Posted by: Justaysam Z5 Il (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 15:31
    My fav. streaked hosta are the ones I have grown from seed, from plants I already have. If you want to save money, just cross and grow seed of the streaked stock you already have.
    · Posted by: Hey_J z5b Dayton Oh. (My Page) on Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 15:36
    Thanks Angie and Curtis! I didn't let the scape dry out to find out if it was fertile--I wanted more energy put into maturing this one, this year. I just discovered this "anomaly" last year, and this Spring I separated it out from Francee! Maybe next year, I'll find out! I am excited in that when I planted it a couple weeks ago, I found an additional eye poking out! I can't wait to see what it produces next Spring! I looked up "Flamboyant" at the HL and that is the first example of a streaked/striped I've seen with the yellow and white in it (the white being a wide margin)! Thanks for pointing it out! Another neat feature, is that whereas my Francees are looking pretty worn out now, this off-spring is still looking "fresh as a daisy" in Summer! Thankfully, "my" sport, is not a result of x-ray exposure, or at least, I hope not! However, there IS a lot of Radon in this area! Gulp! LOL Janice

• FlowersForMyFarm
    17 years ago

I got a nice Korean Snow last year from Hallson's and this year I'm planning on getting a Winter Lightning when I get around to placing my order. Both are reasonably priced.

I'm currently growing some of the seeds from my Korean Snow and some of the seedlings seem to have some nice misting in the leaves so if you're inclined to grow your own streakers that may be one for you to consider.

• greenguy
    17 years ago

i don't know of any for $30 or less

as someone else mentioned seed is a great way to go

I did pick up winter lightning last year from hallson's and got a great plant for the price imo

• hostarox
    17 years ago

If you are talking about streaked breeding plants, Neither Korean Snow nor Winter Lightning fit the category, IMHO.
    And, before you bring it up, neither does Spilt Milk.

Just my own opinion, and I would welcome any input from others. :-))

• greenguy
    17 years ago

spilt milk = no, doesn't set many seeds and most won't grow that it does set
    winter lightning = not sure but i doubt it
    korean snow = I have seen others with some great seedlings but it is not what i like

• jspece
    17 years ago

I'm with you, Rox!

I've seen a few streaked/misted Korean Snow seedlings, but they looked to be very similar to KS. Probably pretty stable streaking and maybe you could get something nice with some creative crosses, but from my limited experience only a small percentage of the seedlings are streaked. It is extremely fertile, though.

Spilt Milk sets plenty of viable seed here, but rarely passes on any streaking.

I've never had Winter Lightning set seed. This is also the most unstable plant I own, but I've heard it can settle down if you keep at it.

Are you after good breeders, Phil, or just pretty plants? Those are two completely different categories.

• tidymimi
    17 years ago

I agree 100% with Roxanne, and Josh. Those aren't streakers, they are stable misted oddities, imo. Winter Lightning especially, its got a diffrent center, but is edged, when grown properly. Have to keep after it all the time. I've also heard of people getting some sort of variegation growing Spilt Milk seeds, but far and few between. Mostly greenies, grow a thousand or 2 and hope you get lucky with one. Korean Snow...well, its not streaked. There are tried and true ones, also very attractive. stick to those.

• hostarox
    17 years ago

Josh and tidy, thanks for the input!

The prodegy of the plants mentioned just above is zero. Only sports.
    If someone has a pic of a seedling I would love to see it!
    Rox

• toymr2mk2
    17 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of an op KS seedling I have been growing. Looks a LOT like mom. This year I want to try some crosses with it and KS and see what I get. Hopefully it will be interesting. Click on thumbnail for larger pics.
    Art

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Those are some dynamite looking babies Art!

I have a few misted babies from KS too, but they are living outside and still dormant. It will be interesting to see how the KS babies mature, I think they look a lot like the momma plant too....

And I second the suggestion to buy/trade for seeds from a streaked plant. One of my absolute favorite babies from last year was gotten in a seed purchase and I have high hopes for it this year.

Alexa