SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rarejem

Suggestions for a memorial garden please.

rarejem
15 years ago

Well, I'm back from a short vacation, and am very happy to find that I still have quite a few daylilies blooming, but haven't had time to share pics or participate in the forum again yet as time just hasn't allowed.

I am working on an important project and decided I would ask for help from all of you as I have gotten so many wonderful recommendations for plants from this group in the past.

My father passed away unexpectedly three months ago, and as we are a very close family, it hit us very hard. As a memorial, all of his friends and family have gotten together and purchased a flag pole for my mother to fly his military flag from. We have just finished building the slab, and are having a pole raising ceremony this weekend. The location of the slab is such that we have to put some kind of short planting behind it, and as they are a true love of Mom's as well as my own, I decided that it would be the perfect spot for 4 or 5 daylilies. (I am absolutely certain that Dad is cringing knowing that he gave us an excuse to create one MORE garden!)

I want the garden to fit in with the memorial theme, so am looking for suggestions on DL's with names that will fit the theme. My father's name was Bill, and so Walking With Bill is a must. This means that I will have to stick with colors that go with cream/pink fairly well. I have no restrictions with regards to height or hardiness... I am more concerned with names and overall effect of the group.

Any suggestions that you can give would be greatly appreciated, and if you have photos to go with them I would love them. I will be ordering shortly, but plan to have printed pictures on stakes for the ceremony. It is the only part of the ceremony that will be a surprise to Mom, so it is important to me that it is just right.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give!

Julie

Comments (6)