SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vuwugarden

Memorial butterfly garden for mother

vuwugarden
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so please excuse any questions I may ask that may have already been asked and answered.

I need your assistance in creating a memorial garden for my mother, who recently passed away. She had always loved butterflies and her intention was to have a garden when she retired. She never made it to retirement, so IÂm going to dedicate a garden in her memory this season.

Basic background info so you all would have a better idea of our location/environment.

I live in central Texas. We have heavy clay soil; hot, hot summers, usually in the 100Âs, and some winters, like this winter, we have a hard freeze (mid-20Âs). The past couple of years we were on water restrictions, so plants need to be semi-drought tolerant.

My house is new, approximately 2 years old, so there are no mature trees at this time to provide shade. The plants would be in full sun, with shade in late afternoon on the east facade of the house. The shade garden (if I may call it that) holds a few hydrangea plants. The sun garden contains several rose bushes and one lonely purple flowering butterfly bush.

Please provide suggestions on plants and requirements that would best bring in butterflies. If IÂm able to attract some butterflies, that would mean the world to me and, in some way, my mother too.

Thanks in advance for all who answer my post.

Drey

Comments (9)

Sponsored