SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magnoliasouth

I have new basil, rosemary and cilantro. Now what?

magnoliasouth
13 years ago

I found them at Walmart. The rosemary is beautiful, but the basil and cilantro are a bit unhappy. I just decided why the heck not? It is worth, at least, a try. Right?

I have a South facing kitchen window with a fluorescent light above (though not close enough to really count). I live on the gulf coast, where it is hot and sticky most of the time. We can still wear shorts right now!

I've been doing a lot of reading (both here in the forums and whatever Google could throw at me) and I'm getting conflicting information. Some say basil is easy, others say it's hard. Some say rosemary does best outside, some swear by it inside. Cilantro? Same thing.

So! Basically I'm still left wondering what to expect. My biggest question though, is about trimming them. Many sources say to wait 3 weeks, but if I wait that long, my basil will likely be to the ceiling (yes, I'm being a bit dramatic here). The main stem is already 16 inches long. Again, it looks sad and is bent off to the side a small bit. That's the best plant they had. On a more positive note, the base leaves look brand new and fantastic.

Should I trim off brown leaves or stems (or both)? Or just leave them for awhile?

Do I trim off only leaves, or stems that shoot off the main one, or the main stem? I've no idea what they're called and cannot find a good picture/video to show me.

What about propagating? Eons ago I had a friend in another state that I've lost touch with. I remember her telling me how she trimmed off the tops of her basil and put them in water (I believe she said water), until they rooted then she made a new plant. She did this all winter.

Would that work? What about the other two plants?

Sorry to sound like such a novice, but the thing about the web is the information overload. It is truly overwhelming. Sometimes simple answers are best.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take a moment and help me.

Should I have posted some pictures?

Comment (1)