SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equinecpa

Potted Lavender Help

equinecpa
14 years ago

I am having grief with lavender. I so want some but am having all sorts of woes...

First I planted some in my garden this year but it struggled -I decided it wasn't getting enough sun, moved it and it promptly died.

I bought another and put in some clay pots I have with herbs in them. Then the rains came and it got soaked and soaked...and died (evidently that potting medium wasn't appropriate and it kept the roots wet).

I bought another plant but since it has continued to rain I have kept it in an East Facing Window and have not yet planted it outside. It is still in the 1 qt pot I bought it in. I fear overwatering so water it only when it wilts.

So my question is: Can Lavender be kept inside or had I better plant it out? Is it a decent container plant for outside or am I better off planting it in a well drained garden (my natural garden soil is a sandy loam which should be good I belive)? If I keep it inside what size pot should I plant it in and how do I water? Is it OK to wait until it wilts?

Half of the bottom leaves have already browned....so I know I"m doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help

Carolyn

Comments (6)