SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnycat_gw

Slugs and voles

bunnycat
16 years ago

Mid-week we had temperatures jump into the 60's F. Many of our oak trees still had leaves well into December, so I went out to clean up as much as I could.

I was horrified to find a gi-normous slug as soon as I started. Found other smaller ones hiding under the leaves too. Ran back in for the ammonia spray bottle.

My vole bait stations were all empty, except for slug eggs under the lid of one. Glad to find the bait was eaten, but worried, too. When the stations are all buried under snow I can't find them and see if they are empty. The voles had a party in one hosta bed. The entire area was riddled with holes and tunnels. Looked like it had been roto-tilled. My beloved old Lenten roses were decimated. I can't believe that the hostas, astilbes and bleeding hearts in this area will look anything like they have in previous years.

At first I only cleaned and refilled the bait stations. After getting over being depressed, I got really mad. Bought more mouse poison blocks at Home Depot. Cut the pieces in half, wrapped them in an oak leaf, Sushi-style. I hope this will help them to not get damp and degrade so fast. Pushed them into any hole I found, and put a white stone on top of each. Until we get more snow, I can check for any "success" under the white stone markers.

I envy anyone who lives in a city neighborhood where voles are a minor problem, if that.

~Bunnycat

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus