SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjjones453

Discectomy and gardening

mjjones453
10 years ago

Has anyone had a discectomy? Has it caused any issues in gardening? I have had a discectomy before Christmas, and was wondering if anyone has had any thoughts, or issues after, preventing or hindering you from gardening.

Comments (7)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

MJ, I don't really know. Don't you think you should ask the doctor about gardening? If we have a medical doctor on the forum, I don't know about it. Besides, they couldn't give you any advice because you are not a patient of record. The rest of us are boat captains, chefs, retired, salesmen, etc. We don't know.

I didn't know what a discectomy was, so I looked it up (removal of a disk in the spine). What I read said the point of the surgery was to get back to doing things. I would suggest you talk to your doctor, a physical therapist or someone who has had the surgery to learn what you need to do to get back to gardening.

Good luck.

bk

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

I have had the surgery which is also called spinal fusion. I had to go back every month for a year for x-rays before my doctor said I could do whatever I wanted.

I had to be home for 3 weeks, in a stiff neck brace for 3 months day and night and a soft brace for a short time after that. My operation was C5-C6 which is in the neck (Cerebral). It takes time for the bone (sterilized cadaver in my case, hip bone for lower areas to fuse to the spine. Lower (lumbar) operations are more difficult as the spine is in back of the vertebrae. In the neck they can slit your throat and pull your trachea out of the way and have good access to the vertebrae.

You have a long rehab ahead and I would not do anything even gardening without the docs OK. It will depend on how well it heals, condition of other vertebrae and other things your doctor will know.

Pushing activities before getting clearance would be a real bad idea.

Good luck,
    Jon

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I've had a couple epidurals for herniated discs, but no surgery...yet.

You know, I'm sure, that EVERY CASE IS DIFFERENT.. It depends on which disc was involved and if you had any other medical concerns.. I'm hoping that you will be able to do garden stuff when that happens in your zone. I'm certain that your body will tell you...if it doesn't hurt, you can do it.

Rest up until Spring.

-Babka

• mjjones453
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree that I need to have clearance from my Dr., and I do appreciate your comments. I was just hoping for someone to give their experience. I am in physical therapy, and am 5 weeks out of surgery. I am still restricted to where I can't bend lift or twist at least until February 18. This is when I see the Doctor and will ask him my questions about gardening restrictions.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Babka,

I was really suffering. I had spasms that would start in my lower back and roll down my right arm every 15 seconds. What pain, I would not have wanted to go through the rest of my life like that. Absolutely not. The Physical therapists and the doctor could see where my muscles were knotted up and go from one to another. You could have sewn up the thumb on my right hand and my index finger and I would not have felt a thing.

I finally went to a neurosurgeon @ Mass General. He looked at one of my 3 MRIs and said 'Here it is, right here' He explained how the operation would proceed and said that after 9 months there was not a very good chance of healing itself. I was scared to death of having a tube stuck down my throat, having my neck cut open, the vertebrae cut out and a cadaver bone placed in its place to bond.

The Dr ( a teaching brain surgeon @ MA General) said that's alright, you will come back and beg to have it done when you are ready. Riding home I was disgusted with myself for being a coward and called the office to make an appointment when I got home. It was about 13 years ago and I have never regretted it.

You are very correct that there are a lot of variables. My case was a pinched nerve at one location. My other vertebrae were in good condition. Some people have multiple discs with problems and they may have osteoporosis which weakens the bone and pinning may be required. My doctor said that he never used titanium screws unless there were complications. He said eventually the screws work loose and click, click click and the only way to stop the clicking is to go in and take them out.

He died of pancreatic cancer a few years after my operation, but he was excellent. 80% of bulging discs correct themselves. The determining factor is, how long has it been bothering you and how much pain you can take.

Good luck,

Jon

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Luckily I did not need surgery. 25 years ago I was out once for 3 weeks, then rode to work to Lynn, Mass., lying down in the car as a passenger. I had a sports therapist who taught me exercises and treated me. My doctors always told me that gardening is very good exercise for people with bad backs as long as you watch yourself not to overlift.
    Bernd

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

18 months, 2 physical therapists, 3 MRIs, 2 neurologists, 1 primary care, a neurosurgeon and $32,000 in medical bills. A friend I worked with called me Father Jon as I had to walk around holding my hand and bowing down to try and ease the pain. The only good thing was I found a lot of change people had dropped.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!