SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valentinetbear

Dried Arrangement with Herbs?!

valentinetbear
16 years ago

Was saving my dill and majoram seeds today, then watering my basil. Afterwards, my fingers smelled like dill and basil! Ahhhhh, I miss that smell in winter! Is there anyway of preserving some of these branches, with their aroma remaining, for a dried "flower arrangement" that can last all winter? Obviously, it won't be pretty, but they are both potent enough that we can smell them when we walk by. Unpreserved, they just fall apart!

Yes, I see the problems -- dill really dries out, basil dies quickly, and preserving, in any traditional manner, won't make a pretty flower arrangement -- but I really just want the smell to enjoy year round, and there is no bright sunlight coming in to our living areas to grow them during the cold months. (Got an unheated front porch to grow borderline perennials, but dill and basil is neither perennials, nor borderline.) I guess it doesn't have to be a flower arrangement, but the dill seeds lose their smell if not kept in a closed container, and I don't know what dry basil does, since I've only used fresh or frozen.

Any ways to keep enjoying the two smells together for the next 7 months?

Comments (8)