SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katmary_gw

Need Stevia Help (stem cracked)

katmary
16 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with my poor Stevia plant. It's very healthy but when checking for problems, I pulled part of it back a little too far and a major branch at the "trunk" cracked. I don't have a camera so I'll do my best to explain. This happened about 3 weeks ago and I propped rocks under the stem to keep it against the area where it cracked. Basically, it hangs back somewhat far when it's not propped, but isn't completely cut from the rest. It's part of the trunk right above the soil at the base of the plant, connected to another major branch beginning. The five stems that go up from this cracked area are healthy, have a lot of new growth at the top, and so far don't seem to be suffering any ill effects aside of needing a bit more water (the top leaves are the first to wilt a bit if it needs water, then perk right back up). It rained last night which I hadn't counted on (I'm in Sacramento county, usually doesn't rain this time of year!) and seems a bit weak once again at the trunk. The health of the plant hasn't changed at all, it's doing very well overall.

Here are my basic questions:

If the plant will by dying back with winter, I would be willing to go ahead and cut this stem off, though it's literally a third of the plant. Does this happen in winter? If it doesn't, would it still be better to completely remove this part of the plant for the health of the rest? It really is about 1/3 of the plant. Is there any way to encourage it to mend aside of what I have been doing? Can I replant this somehow? If I do remove it, should I put something on the bare area of the main plant to encourage healing or to protect it? I'm not sure what to do and can really use some advice.

Thank you so much for any help! :D

Kathy

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath