SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsaybev

HELP! On my second round of herb seed germination...

lindsaybev
9 years ago

I started my first garden this summer. With my diligence, homework, a TON of grunt work, and a quick sense of humor I surmounted a huge undertaking of unused clay soil and a rather large learning curve (as I just recently moved to a place where I could finally have such a lavish first garden).

BUT NONE OF MY HERBS HAVE EVER SPROUTED!!! Most my veggies survived the learning curve, the pests, even my new puppy. But herbs just wont germinate. I only tried Mint during the summer, as a way to get pests out of the garden. No plants.

Now I am on to a cooler fall harvest and am on a second go-round of germinating Flat Leaf Parsley, French Thyme, Italian Large Leaf Basil, Rosemary, Greek Oregano, Lavender, Sage and a third try with Mint.

I bought my seeds from Pinetree Gardens and kept them in the fridge until I could do all my homework and also to allow the weather to cool a bit. I made a mixture of potting soil, peat moss, polystyrene balls, and perlite and steamed it all to sterilize the mixture. I then sealed this in airtight containers and refridgerated until I used them to germinate my variious seeds.

I soaked the parsley seeds overnight before sowing and placing in plastic bag. I used peat containers for the Thyme and put them in a large freezer bag. I take these outdoors to the sun for the day and bring them indoors at night.

I am germinated the Basil indoors,in a bay kitchen window, also in a freezer bag, but this gets ventilated more often than the rest because the seeds are prone to damping off; but I do not use a heating pad (...yet.)

The Rosemary is still in the darkness of the warm garage, also in a bag.

The Lavender is sitting in the fridge on week two of a cold-treating process and will emerge from there on the 10/9.

The Mint seeds are all gone now.

I haven't open the Sage packets. Now I am afraid. The Lavender and Sage are for my front garden, and I worked so hard designing, planning, amending, making trellises and choosing flowers with specific color theme, zone appropriate, perennial...that I am afraid to do any more at this point.

So...I was told to check my seeds every day and put water if the soil seemed dry. I just cup my hand under the faucet and sprinkle. It does dry a bit because when the trays are outside in the sun, I open the baggies to ventilate because the condensation gets pretty thick and I am afraid of damping off. But I think I still damped 'em, darn it!

Please any advice. BTW, I do have a germinating seed contraption coming in the mail soon....lol

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider