SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorenicksleft

My fenugreek seeds have germinated.

nomorenicksleft
16 years ago

Last week, I bought a small bag of fenugreek seeds from the local indian grocer. I poured some into a wet paper towel, and I think it's been 4 days now, and I noticed that many have germinated (though non had even 16 hours ago). My count puts it at 38% germination, and I have little doubt that another day or two would boost that.

But what do I do now? I realize that I have no idea what to plant it in. My other more conventional herbs are all in 4" or 6" pots, but will fenugreek be a bigger plant? Will the good composted manure potting soil I have be fine, or does it require something more sandy or what? Will this grow fine in a sunny window sill, or will I have to put it out for the summer and hope that I can nurse it through each winter?

I just wanted to make my own curry, and I suppose I should have done more research.

Also, can anyone recommend what other herbs/spices I might want to grow for a true curry? Wikipedia lists many that don't sound so curryish to me, but of those I'm already trying to grow coriander, cumin, fennel, garlic, and several varieties of hot chilis. I'm even wanting to try to grow cardamom, turmeric, ginger, and nutmeg, though how to go about doing those remains an unknown.

Any advice, criticism, or conversation is appreciated.

Comments (16)