SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamasllamas

The BEST Spider Daylilies

mamasllamas
13 years ago

I thought I'd ask this now since everyone has bloomed this year, What's your best Spider and why you like it? and what ones are you going to adding to your garden. holly

Comments (19)

• Edward_Kimball
    13 years ago

Hi Holly,

I only have one spider in my garden and it is a good one: Yellow Monkey (Gossard). It is just new but I have seen it in a local garden the last two years. Here is a picture from this year.

Edward

{{gwi:673385}}

• shive
    13 years ago

Just clarifying - Do you really mean spider, or spiders and unusual forms?

Debra

• mamasllamas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Debra, everything different, unusual forms also! i also have been seeing some that are pointed like arrows. i wanted to get a few and thought it would be interesting to see what everyone is growing. holly

• cody_mi
    13 years ago

if we're throwing unusual forms in there then i have a pretty long list. these are the ones i have
    peacock maiden- early, huge flowers, great dark purple color, but doesn't want to set pods.
    orange clown- bright orange, can see it from across the yard, lots of buds.
    high watermark- i love anything with a watermark, most uf's and it's from judy davisson, who i also love.
    prairie moonlight- it's older yellow, but it blooms forever and has a great fragrance.
    starmans quest- just because i like the colors.
    winter crown- just because the form is so unusual and it has tiny little teeth.
    thin man- very bright colors, large yellow throat.
    no boys allowed- another by judy, but a nice bright pink with a watermark.
    silver sword- great form and color and bred for the north.

this is what i've ordered
    heavenly angel ice- great form and color, blooms forever
    heavenly flight of angels- similiar to hai, but is an extended bloomer.
    rose f kennedy- the pics say it all, i love a big green throat.
    northwind dancer- nice color, long bloom season.
    magic of oz- very strong scapes, green throat.
    green inferno- gotta love the green(ish)
    frilly bliss- i mostly ordered it to cross with rfk, it has a good height.
    turquoise temple- not really a watermark, but close, plus its a bitone.

i ordered a few others, some quilled things and crispates, mostly for crossing with rfk. i'm going to start working with green throats. i could list more that i've heard are great, but this is what i've got.

• njmomma
    13 years ago

Spider Man, but it's not as tall as I'd like it to be.
    Miss Jessie - an oldie but goodie
    Charles Trommer
    I just ordered Free Wheelin'
    Those are the only spiders I have for now.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I only have a few and they are new to me but Planet Max had more buds and scapes than Spider Miracle, Desert Icicle, and Trahlyta. Swallow Tail Kite did very well too but I'm not sure if it should be included in this group or not. Desert Icicle did well too and it was brand new to me this spring.

• blue23rose
    13 years ago

This is last years picture of LADY NEVA and I think it must have been taken on a cloudy day, because the picture looks a little more saturated than it should be. It is supposed to be 42" tall, but this year it was taller than me... at least 63" tall.

The only bad thing is that almost each and every bloom faced northeast, away from my viewpoint. What gives?!! lol.

It is also a late bloomer and still has a couple more blooms yet this year. I love it! Vickie

• blue23rose
    13 years ago

Here's a duo: PANTHERETTE (at left) and PARFAIT. And again, last years pic. I am at work and can at least copy my Photobucket pics from last year:)

I love this combination although this year Pantherette was behind Parfait by a couple of weeks for some reason.

Parfait is an oldie and a great increaser and Pantherette is average increaser for me.
    {{gwi:675592}}

Vickie

• Edward_Kimball
    13 years ago

My favourite daylily is the unusual form Heavenly Angel Ice.

{{gwi:670531}}

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

North Wind Dancer has been a magnificent bloomer for me! Many blooms over a very long time:
    {{gwi:928060}}

And I love Wispy Rays:
    {{gwi:667518}}

kay

• Edward_Kimball
    13 years ago

In my garden North Wind Dancer is beautiful but it needs support to prevent flopping.

• shive
    13 years ago

My favorite dip spidery this year was A LITTLE FIRE, SCARECROW because it's so striking in a clump and because it sets seed pods so easily.

My favorite dip unusual form was KOKOPELLI because it has so much personality. KOKO is well-budded and a reliable rebloomer. It's also a super pod setter.

Here's how KOKIO looked at the end of a 97-degree day.

My favorite dip spider was EMMAUS. I love the way the petals bow to make a round shape. It has super strong pollen.
    {{gwi:659905}}

WIREGRASS GREENSTAR is another spidery dip I really enjoy. I love the soft colors with the intense green throat. It's also a good pod setter.

Debra

• shive
    13 years ago

My favorite tet unusual form for the third year running was

BLAZING SADDLES - I just love the looks of this UF by Dan Hansen, and when it's hot it has teeth. It multiplies quickly into a nice clump. Some years it reblooms.

PERSEUS' SANDALS, another Hansen, is not registered as a UF but it certainly shows UF characteristics in my garden. The bloom is huge - 10 inches - and I like the dark purple with the white edges. PERSEUS is well budded, reblooms and sets pods.

NAVAHO TALISMAN was my most elegant tet UF.

CRAZY MISS DAISY was the best rebloomer of my tet UFs

SWEET CHILD OF MINE was probably the best UF clump.
    {{gwi:667497}}

WILD WOOKIE was my favorite tet spider because it has so much personality. You never know how it will twist or curl from day to day, but you can count on it always showing some motion.

Debra

• cody_mi
    13 years ago

very nice debra, i'm going to have to add a few of those to my better get list.

• mamasllamas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ohh i have my eye on a few new ones now that i've seen photos, one that has been on my list is Heavenly angel ice........wild wookie is looking good too and i didn't know wispy rays looked like that, lovin it! holly

• Edward_Kimball
    13 years ago

Polar Bear Express has been good in its first year here. It stands up straight and tall. I expected the the colour to be whiter but I am happy with the pale yellow. It is supposed to have better branching and budcount than Heavenly Angel Ice. I look forward to seeing that in my garden.

• mamasllamas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for taking the time and posting your favorite spiders and unusual flowers.

• njmomma
    13 years ago

I just ordered Lady Neva from Sunset Meadows for $5! Love the pic of it here!

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

That's funny Vickie because my Lady Neva also points away from me but to the South East! I have a whole bed of Spiders and Unusual forms and the majority face that way. It drives me crazy!
    I like the curly ones, Kirsten's Corsage, Lola Branham,Curly Cinnamon Windmill. Desert Icicle was great and Easy Ned put on an awesome show. Firestorm bloomed forever and North Wind Dancer is still going. Bali Watercolor was just huge as was Jan's Twister. Lots of blooms too. My favorite Dip this year is Potala Tapestry by Gil Stelter which is just finishing up. It has bloomed for a long time. My favorite Tet was Wild and Wonderful by Pat Stamile. It is the most amazing flower and blooms perfectly all the time in any weather. I don't think I have ever seen a misformed bloom on it. Also Suzie Cream Cheese is still going strong and highly recommended for a late. It just started at the beginning of August after many were already finished. I have some new ones this year that I really enjoyed. Mystic Firebird by Pam Hoffman impressed me and looked even better than her photograph! Also Nina Nina Wolverina by Linda Michaels was awesome having 3 blooms on one scape one day. Can't wait to see some of her other ones I got this year next summer.
    As you can see I could go on forever - I love spiders and UFs. They do so much better than round forms for me here.I will have to get some photos posted.
    Got to go cut the lawn again!!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County