SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linearlinear

suicidal rosemary, sage, and nasturtium

linearlinear
17 years ago

Hello all!

I'm a new would-be gardener needing all the help I can get. I recently moved into a high-rise apartment building in NYC with a north facing balcony on the 8th floor, and became ambitious enough to start a small garden of potted herbs. The balcony is fairly well shielded from wind, but alas there's only about 3 hours of direct sun a day. There's indirect sun for the rest of the day. Also, there's been a lot of rain lately, so even less sunshine than normal. I started with good large plants from the green market, and repotted them into 8 inch pots that drain well. I also used MiracleGro potting soil with fertilizer that's supposed to last at lest 3 months. Alas, it's only been 10 days since I started, and I'm already running into big problems.

After 7 days of general happiness, my sage plant has stopped all growth and become suddenly droopy in the space of 2 days. Thinking that it needed more water, I gave it that. No use. Now the soil is quite moist, but the plant is on the verge of collapse. There are no spots and no bugs that I can see. What do I do?

My rosemary is doing something odd. It initially grew quite quickly, and I pruned one stem off the top (leaving 7 inches of length), hoping it would become bushier. Instead, that stem and that stem alone has browned to the bottom. The other stems seem aright, for now. (How I wish I could send pictures!) Again, no spots, no bugs. I'm afraid the other stems will go down too.

Finally, I also have an anemic nasturtium plant. It's of the bushy variety with two-toned leaves. It started with a good number of flowers, and I repotted it into a large container. Since then, all the flowers have dropped off, and some of the leaves have turned yellow. However, there has also been new growth from the root.

I have a sinking feeling that the basis of all my woes is the lack of sunlight. I appreciate any and all advice/remedies. If these particular plants cannot survive in this environment, please advise me as to which herbs can. I'm very dedicated and am happy to water them as frequently as they need. I cook quite a bit, so these will also be pruned regularly.

On the upside, my basil and spearmint are quite jolly, and my old Christmas cactus has bloomed out of season for the first time (I hope that's not its swan song!).

Thank you thank you thank you!!

linearlinear

Comments (6)