SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phawx_gw

A dedicated herb garden or not?

phawx
14 years ago

I'm planning on expanding my gardens next year and am having difficulty deciding on whether to have one dedicated herb garden or spread the different herbs throughout my yard and veggie garden.

Ideally I would put an herb garden right next to my back door, which is closest to the kitchen. But given the layout of my house and the structures that are already in place, that's simply not possible.

I can convert one of my veggie garden boxes, which get full sun, to an herb box. I can build a new one in a different location, either full sun/part sun/full shade, I have all available. I can make our front flower bed an herb garden instead of a flower bed (this isn't ready yet, so it can potentially be either) which gets shaded in the a.m. and full, harsh sun in the afternoon/evening. Or I can plants herbs in all places rather than keeping them together.

I like the idea of having them all in one place, but I'm concerned about the variety of soil conditions/light conditions/water conditions that they need.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas? Personal experience? Something that will get me looking in the right direction.

Comments (12)