SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herboholic

Planting rosemary in-ground in Zone 7

herboholic
16 years ago

I read a former post where it was mentioned that in zone 6 and below that rosemary needed to be either containerized and brought in during the winter or dug-up, containerized and brought in for the winter.

I'm in Zone 7. Does that mean that my rosemary will survive the winter here? I would LOVE to be able to plant my bushes (3 very large ones now) in-ground.

Winter's here aren't terribly bad, although snow, albeit rare, is not out of the question and freezing temps are not at all uncommon. But I do think that rarely does it get cold enough, or enough snow on the ground to freeze the ground, barring an ice storm, which come maybe every two decades.

I have a neighbor right on the other side of my privacy fence that has a garden (planted in-ground), and I admired his rosemary bush one day. Very beautiful and healthy. He said he just left it outside and although it seemed to go dormant during the winter, as soon as warm weather arrived, it perked right back up and did beautifully. Amazed, but I was looking at the proof.

Which really confused me. I've never planted my herbs, let alone my rosemary, in ground because 1) I didn't think they'd survive the winter and 2) about 8" to 1' down their is a clay base....not desirable for an herb loving a well-drained soil.

But if I can build a special, raised planting bed for the rosemary and leave it in-ground, I would LOVE to do that in my zone.

How deep do rosemary roots go? If I gave them a well-drained planting bed soil medium, despite the clay deep down, would they be alright?

My rosemary's are very large and in very large pots, but I would LOVE to see them in a sunny spot in the backyard up against the fence.

Comments (17)