SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ponytail73

advice, when and if to prune hibiscus?!

ponytail73
11 years ago

Hi all! I am new to this site and live in NH. So clearly my tropical hibiscus is in a pot, happy in my home office for the winter. Im not sure of his kind exactly, as he came from "rescue rack "last oct for $3 at my local walmart. Flowers are pink with a bit of maroon, and yellow throat. Half dead but alive I cut it way back,mostly dead foliage anyway, and gave it a nice new pot. Since then it has been very grateful, bloomed profusely on and off since this feb. Iv had 4 flowers this week and it has at least 15 more bubs to go! so, clearly he wont get pruned til flowering is over, but what about after? He isnt unruley looking, nice shape and bushy. Is all this amazing flowering do to the hack job I gave him in fall 2011? will he need a trim to continue thriving, or should I just let him grow?! Its a beautiful plant and I looked for others this fall without luck. I did however score some hardy hibiscus planted late this fall! so fingers crossed for them!! Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am a fairly novice green thumb, but enjoy it so so much! Thanks for your time and help!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES