SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kray_z

Wannabe - Any suggestions?

kray_z
19 years ago

My hubby and I *think* we can pull off picking up a 40 acre piece of land and get a home built on it... this is happening about 10 years earlier than we had thought would be possible. We have two kids, ages 4 & 2 and no farming background or experience (really) BUT we are both hard workers and can both do some basic to intermediate carpentry. He is electrician by trade and I can get around a kitchen pretty well. We cook mostly from scratch now but do no gardening at all in our current yard. I am the "bread" winner due to a number of reasons - health related in part for hubby and children (I have the better job w/ bene's and their illnesses require much medicine & doctor visits). I currently work from home full time and hubby picks up side work here & there. The thought is that we could pick up this land and put in a home and begin moving toward self sufficiency. Not really aiming for "off the grid" - more toward raising our own food and simple living, energy efficiency (solar, wind, etc). The hope is to be ss enough that I can reduce hours or quit altogether eventually and be SAHM. I think we can do this but I also know that we have thought about this for so long that I am afraid we have too romantic a notion, know what I mean? I am not afraid of difficult, I guess I just want an accurate picture before we commit and head full throttle down that road. Our families are not supportive of this which makes the doubt clouds that much more ominous. So now the question... Any books, resources on what to expect, what we might need? Your experiences? Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored