SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megajas

Canning & grinding questions...

megajas
16 years ago

Ok, we're looking to get a 2nd home/vacation/retirement place... we've been looking to buy something on a motor boat lake ... but I'm really more interested in getting acreage. We live on 1 acre in a subdivision, so I am limited to what I can do/have (no chickens or goats, I HAVE had rabbits, dogs, cats, parrots, lizards, fish ... you get the idea). This past year we did a big remodeling project in the back with a 140' stone retaining wall. This fall we are building (7) 2'x8' raised beds and getting them ready for spring plantings for my herbs and vegetables. This fall I am also seed saving and doing a bunch of cuttings, ect ... to over winter. Ok, my goal here is to make THIS property as productive as possible/ self sufficient (3:1 plantings for the birds, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, ect) and start doing canning/preserving and baking more homemade breads. I was trying to figure out our household usage in canned goods and products ... but need to know things like, if I am canning corn, how much corn would be needed for a quart (off cobb)? Or Green beans/carrots/peas? So I can figure on how much we will get out of our plot. Apples/Peaches/Pears for a quart of sliced canned fruit?

We are growing organic here... so I know everything will be healthier ... but cost wise, is there any savings versus buying store bought? What about in making your own breads? How much does it work out to per loaf if you buy your grains, grind it, & bake the bread?

Thank you for any help ... I am trying to cut costs while improving my family's eatting habits.

Hopefully if I can show how this works out here, my hubby will be more inclined to look at larger/more rural lot locations & options without thinking I am REALLY goofy.

-Bonnie (PS- we are feeding a family of 6 + my 2 grandparents atm)

Comments (3)

Sponsored