SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aka_peggy

Advice please from those with root cellars

aka_peggy
20 years ago

I'm hoping someone here can give me some much needed advice...FAST!

DH and I were replacing the floor in the bathroom of our 62 year old home when we discovered a trap door...for lack of a better word.

We were amazed when we found a 2" thick cedar "lid" that revealed an old cistern 12' beneath the ground. The walls are brick and the floor appears to be cement. It's approximately 14' X 6' in area and it's in 2 sections, separated by a brick wall. The "ceiling is about 2" thick. In spite of all the rains we've had recently it's very dry down there and it seems to be in excellent condition.

In a few hours from now, the new bathroom floor will cover this lost treasure forever.

The only way to access the space then would be to demolish the cinderblock/brick wall separating the basement from the cistern. The cistern is around 10' below the basement.

I hope I'm making myself clear...it's late and it was a long day. This seems like a fascinating find, like finding a secret room....entirely underground. Gotta admit, I thought about the Jews during the Holocaust and what a great place this would be to hide. And I'm not Jewish. But anyway....

I'd like to know how difficult it would be to convert this space to a root cellar? I have Nancy Bubel's book but haven't had time to read it yet. So much to read...so little time..............

I have no experience with root cellars. If you could offer some advice, thoughts, I'd welcome your comments. Humidity? Temp? Problems?

Thank you for listening to me~

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus