SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bruggirl

Homesteading in the city

bruggirl
19 years ago

I don't know if it's really homesteading, but I have this dream of being able to grow most of my own fruits and veggies and make money also off of my 1/4 acre here in the city. Of course, I couldn't have farm animals, but free fertilizer is available for the hauling from a local cattle ranch, and I don't really eat much meat anyway.

My plan includes growing and selling tropical plants, maybe online, mostly to garden centers in the vicinity. I'd grow most of the veggies I eat, and some of the fruit (mostly tropicals, of course).

Is it possible to homestead on 1/4 acre that includes a 1200 foot house? I think it would take a lot of planning, putting every square foot of land into some sort of use, but I think it could be done.

Heck, I used to have 2 acres of fruits and a 1/4 acre veggie garden, and wound up giving a lot of it away, and still having plenty for me, so 1/4 acre should be enough for me, I think.

Any help on how to get the most out of a small space would be very appreciated. I've never attempted to do anything this big on this small a space.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor