SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Tropical Hibiscus 'Seminole Pink' - Planting and Cuttings Qs

I just bought a tropical hibiscus 'Seminole Pink'. I know it is an oldie-but-goodie; plain pink with single blooms, but I love it. Believe it or not, even though I have lived in Florida all of my life, this is my first hibiscus! I have a couple of questions if someone can help me:

1) How should it be planted? Some of the info I read said that the soil should be amended. Do you recommend that? What amendment(s) would you suggest?

2) Also, it said that in extremely hot zones, a hibiscus might appreciate some shade in the late afternoon ("appreciate", LOL!). I know that this cultivar can grow to 8-10 feet high. Should I try to find it some shade for late afternoon? Or should I go ahead and put it in full, all-day sun? I didn't know that any tropical hibiscus wanted shade.

3) I started cuttings right away (of course! {{gwi:387657}}) I started six cuttings in two clear plastic community cups of perlite, three cuttings per cup. Powdered rooting hormone used. A clear cup inverted over each set of cuttings for humidity. Parked in shade. We are having 70 degree nights, 85 degree days. How long will they take to root?

Thanks for all of your wisdom and experience!
Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (8)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio