SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theforgottenone1013

Question About Lavender

The question is about the way my lavender grows. I have 'Grosso' lavender that I planted three years ago. The first year I planted it, it didn't do much most of the year until about midsummer/early fall when it started growing like crazy. I found that a little odd but I though it was because it was establishing itself. The second year it did the same thing. It just sat there until midsummer and then exploded with growth. It didn't flower either year. And the new growth on it isn't soft, green, and supple, it's hard and woody. Very shrub like. This year it appears like it's going to do the same thing. Everything else in my yard and garden is growing but there isn't any sign of life from the lavender.

I've never grown lavender before so I'm just wondering, is this normal? Or is this how 'Grosso' is supposed to grow? If it isn't should I just dig it out and start over?

Here's some info: I bought it as a potted plant. The soil where it's at has good drainage, it's mulched with pea gravel, and it's in full sun. I treat it the same way as the other drought tolerant plants (penstemons, salvias, catmint, echinacea, etc.) that I grow.

Comments (9)