SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ongodsmountain

Storing/starting seeds

ongodsmountain
12 years ago

Hello,

I'm new to all this...

Built my first raised garden bed this last spring, of alternating 2' x 4' boxes, 18" high, then 12" high, then 18" high, etc.. with a long 2' x 28' x 6" deep bed along the front... Using mel's mix in all of it.. and just started a 4'x4' compost box yesterday.. Planted Hops rhizomes in the 18" deep boxes this summer, and got them established, hoping to get a harvest next year...

I also just received my first order of heirloom seeds from sustainable seed company... I have a couple questions..

I live in the mountains of NorCal at about 4200' we get snow... What is the best way to store these seeds so that they are safe for long term? I don't plan to use them all the first season, and plan to try and harvest/store seeds from the first crops if possible...

Also, to start them in the spring, I was thinking of using small cups of pure vermiculite sitting in a plate of water.. The packages say I should sprinkle some bone meal/blood meal in their starting mix.. Once started, transplanting to 3-4" pots with mel's mix until ready to plant outside in the early summer or late spring...

The plan is to set them on a rubbermade utility cart I have and park it next to a south facing window in the rec room...

Any tips? Anything I should be adding to them to get them going?

this is all new to me, and don't want to mess it all up.. The plan is to become more self reliant as fast as possible...

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville