SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herboholic

Food Safety ?...Infusing Oils with Fresh Herbs

herboholic
16 years ago

I've been reading on a recipe forum several posts where people are posting recipes where they're infusing their oils with fresh herbs, like rosemary, thyme, sage, basil or even garlic. They're taking the fresh herbs and covering them in a bottle with extra virgin olive oil and leaving it to sit for a couple weeks before using it.

I used to have a place bookmarked on my computer concerning this and food safety and can't find it. But as I remember, it's a no-no. It's an invite to botulism, as it's a perfect environment for bacteria to grow...even if you can't see it.

Can anyone point me to a reputable website link that explains why this is not a good idea? I specifically remember a place on the web (several) that strongly advised against this type of oil infusion and why and I'd like to pass on that information.

I've always infused my oils just prior to cooking. If I haven't bought the already infused oil at the market, I take whatever fresh herb I want and place it in the pan with the olive oil and heat it up til the oil is infused with the flavor of the herb. I then remove the herb and continue cooking.

Comments (5)