SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gretzky099

Moon and Stars with very small melons

18 years ago

Hi everyone. I posted this over in the vegetable forum, but well I guess it might be more appropriate here. The message as posted is below. I haven't grown Moon and Stars watermelon before, and what I'm really confused about is why I don't have larger melons this late in the year, especially when these were started about six weeks ahead of time indoors. Anyway, if anyone has any comments about things, please do let me know. I do mention a hybrid seedless below as well, but I'm really more concerned with the moon and stars. Thanks in advance!

Mark

---

Hey all, I have a question regarding watermelons. I have two plants going this year, one is an heirloom Moon and Stars and one is a seedless hybrid called honeypot. I have vines ALL over the place, but so far only quarter sized melons on the moon and stars. Have not found any melons on the seedless to date. I have them on two hills planted close enough that the vines are mingling for the pollination of the seedless. I've seen plenty of bees and other pollinators around. I'm confused as to why I have such small watermelons this late in the season. I've grown other varieties before with lots of success, but never have tried either of these. I have a good well drained, slighty sandy soil and started both of these plants indoors about 6 weeks before last frost. Plants were out in the garden by around May 15th.

So...any thoughts as to why I have all this foliage but so few and such small melons? I didn't fertilize these plants at all, so no extra nitrogen. I know the moon and stars are long season, but I thought starting them inside would help. I'm a bit worried about them making it before the first frost!

Comments (8)