SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayson745

moon and stars watermelon genetics

jayson745
10 years ago

Hello. I'm just curious if anyone knows about the genetics of moon and stars watermelons. I know about how they were lost for a while, then seeds found and all that. I mean as far as crosses go. I found one site that said the gene that makes them look cool is dominant. But what I'm curious about is how they can reproduce seeds to sell that all have the trait. My understanding of dominant genes is that if you breed it to a regular one, half will have it. But even if you put 2 of them together, 25% of the seeds would not have the gene and 75% would have it. Or if there is a super form, 50% would have it, 25% would not, and 25% would be the super form. Then you could breed the super form to a regular and get all 100% seeds with the gene but not in super form. Is that what happens with moon and stars? Is there a super form? If so, what does it look like? I'm looking to do some crosses with them next year. Probably with carolina cross to add some size, and maybe even with black diamond to see if the moon and stars will still show up on the darker background for high contrast colors. I believe I read that black diamonds color is recessive so that would take an extra year to get the mix. Anyway, finding much of anything about genes in plants seems to be somewhat of a pain. Just figured I'd see if anyone here knows whats going on :)

Comments (8)