SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saj519

Planning my massive herb garden--input please!

saj519
13 years ago

Hello everyone!

I like I'm sure all of you am starting to organize and plan for my gardens this year, as my frost-free date is about May 15th here in Ohio, so I'll start my seeds in March, but I would like some input on a few things:

1. Heating from underneath...those of you that do this, how do you go about it? I'm afraid heating pads for the quantity of herbs I want to grow could be astronomical. Do certain herbs need it more than others?

2. Lighting...I plan to use fluorescent bulbs over my starting trays, as I have only one, small window with southern exposure. Can I use just normal fluorescent bulbs?

3. seeds v. plants...I'd like to do as many of my herbs from seed as possible, to keep cost down. I'm an avid cook and burn through herbs quickly so I'm planning on growing high quantities of several different herbs. From what I've read on this forum, it seems I may be better off to just buy a few oregano plants instead of go through the hassle of seeds when I don't use that much oregano anyway.

4. Fertilizing...I am a big-time believer in fertilizing with fish, as I have always had amazing results, do I need to worry about the decomposed fish in the soil affecting the taste of my herbs?

Forgive my long-windedness! I'd really appeciate any input you may have!

Comments (7)