SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Planning a shaded perennial garden

tracydr
13 years ago

I have a very difficult space around my swimming pool. I think I'd like to use it for mostly perennial herbs, maybe mixing in basil in the sunnier areas and some shade resistant beans ( is there such a thing?) along the back fence, unless I can come up with a good climbing flower to attract hummers and pollinators. Maybe I could even put some mint in back since the shade will keep it from going wild?

Havent had great luck with mint pots in summer, seems to cook the roots, but haven't tried burying them yet.

Here it is. It's mostly shaded, maybe two hours of sun, but I'm in AZ, so in the summer that can be a lot of sun. Front gets more sun than the back and I even got some tomatoes off the front last year. Borders the pool so needs to look nice. Want to attract hummers year round, as well as pollinators, since my veggies are all around the yard. Don't have any other places to put herbs so would like to put them here but could stick some non-herbs in if needed, maybe salvias.

Need some height in the back where the most shade is and move to lower in the front, or should I make a walk through garden with height on both sides and a path? It's about 30 feet long by 20 deep, maybe even larger. I'll go measure today. Sort of pie shaped, longer in the back than front.

I can't post a pic on here because right now there is a giant mound of tree trimmings in it, sorry!

Comments (8)