SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hotpeppernut

Critique this shade garden plan

hotpeppernut
16 years ago

I have two rather unremarkable Norway maples in a corner of my property, they were not planted, but are now rather tall, perhaps 25 to 30 feet, and about 15 feet away from each other. They killed two large azealeas which I have removed, and even weeds don't grow in the dense shade. The spot gets some morning sun, and then dense shade.

Since I love woodlands, I thought I would try to plant a shade garden there and attempt to simulate a woodland garden of sorts. The top soil is heavilly compacted, and very rich. I haven't done a soil test yet, but I intend to. As of now, I am composting, and will add peat moss and vermiculite to reduce the soil compaction and increase acidity. The space is roughly a triangle, 20 feet at the back borders, and will run 6 feet out at 90 degrees, and then have a 17 foot "frontage".

I've decided to plant log ferns (endangered in NY), cinnamon ferns (threatened in NY) fronted with some Japenese painted ferns towards the front with a selection of hostas. For a ground cover, I will plant sweet woodruff, and some false spirea (false goats beard-astilbe) for some color. I am undecided on what dense shade hosta(s) to select.

Having never attempted a shade garden before, I would appreciate any constructive critisism and tips. These are all plants that prefer well drained but constanty moist soil (based on my research) and acidic to mildly acidic soil. As I mentioned, I will prep the soil with home made compost, purchased compost, peat moss and vermiculite. I know I will have to stay on top of the sweet woodruff to prevent it from choking the other plantings, and I believe that the edges of the garden that get sun and has heavy compacted topsoil will hold the sweet woodruff back from invading the lawn area without too much intervention.

I will use a soaker hose to keep the area well moistened, and am hoping for the log ferns and cinnamons to reach their uppermost hieght limits of 4 to 6 feet. (This is in part to screen a rather ugly neighbor's fence with a natural looking planting, a mini woodlands, if you will). Because the area is dark, I am hoping that the ferns will provide enough distraction so as to make this fence nearly unoticable.

So, any commentary from you folks would be greatly appreciated. This is not something I've attempted before, and any advice is welcome.

Comments (14)

Sponsored