SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Royal Heritage TM Strain Lenten Rose

katrina1
17 years ago

Both Monrovia and Wayside Gardens web sites tout the wonders of this cool weather flowering evergreen.

They report that the Royal Heritage tm strain will bloom up to 5 months in some climates. Listed as USDA 4-8 and needing well-drained, moisture-retentive soil, and can even thrive in clay.

Are these truely some of the best Helleborus x hybridus strains offered in the nursery trade today?

I recently purchased three different ones that are supposed to be the Royal Heritage strain. One blooms almost black, and another blooms redish but later changes to an almost dark pink. both of those two produce stems and leaves looking rather greenish with slight suggestions of yellowish coloring on the just emerging leaves.

The third plant purchased is supposed to still be from the Royal Heritage strain, but the coloring and texture of both that plant's leaves and stems look entirely different. supposedly, the blooms of this plant will emerge green and fade to white. But the leaves currently appear to be an almost gray to blue shade of green and the leaf stems are red.

The drastic difference in the appearance of my 3rd plant makes me wonder if it really is part of the Royal Heritage strain.

Does such stem and folliage coloring differences truely occur in RH strains, or is it more likely my red stemmed plant is not true to its Royal Heritage tm Stain Lenten Rose nursery label?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm