SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swontgirl_z5a

Newbie question about Helleborus hybrids

swontgirl_z5a
12 years ago

I hope this doesn't sound like too silly a question(s) but I am just learning about these hellebores and they sure don't seem to be like anything else when you are trying to buy some.

I have 2 I planted last spring-an Ivory Prince and an H. niger. They seem to be doing well and both have buds showing although the Ivory Prince ones are still hidden in a little "package" of green. I don't know what the niger will look like-it seems there are different ones from what I have read but I understand the Ivory Prince will be as it should look. It is sold as a tissue culture plant right?

But that is where things get confusing for me.

I understand that many Hellebores are sold as seed strains. This means they are actual seedlings of certain plants. Yet they are named as a certain thing. Are they actually that thing or not? And how do the sellers know that is what your plant will look like? Do they have to sell old enough plants that they have bloomed and know the ones they are selling look enough like the parent that they can name it that?

I bought 4 this spring at a garden show and they are in my basement now under lights. Two are blue lady and red lady. These are seed strains that I have read come 80% true from seeds. I guess I have an 80% chance of them looking like they should. Sounds like good odds but someone has to get the 20% right?

I have seen mixtures for sale that could look like just about anything and that makes sense to me. I also bought 2 of these and look forward to seeing what I got!

And some seem to be tissue cultured so they look like the "real thing". This seems to be about the safest bet.

Is there a way to know when you go to a garden centre or order online and buy a helleborus plant with a name that that is what you will get? And is there any guarantee if it doesn't? Can you tell if it is a tissue culture or just a seed strain by looking at the tag or the name?

Sorry for all the questions. This is all new to me and certainly not like any other plants I have!

Thanks for any help or advice!

Debbie

Comments (10)

Sponsored