SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

Complete newbie, only want to plant green beans in North Alabama.

lmhall2000
13 years ago

I'm finally at a point in my life (all kids are over age 10!!) where I can find time to go back to basics. My grandparents always had a big garden in Spruce Pine, AL (about the same zone as me...clay soil)..she had the BEST canned green beans ever! She's 87 now and can't remember names...she said I liked the half runner beans as a kid and to just find a bean that is as long as your finger and slender..that doesn't give me a lot to go on!

I have a large tractor tire that is a raised bed (always used for tulips/gladiolas in the past..so I want to put the beans in that...my neighbor has all the garden implements and if I can manage, he would till up a garden for me next year. We have 8 acres and just bought 2 from him that he had a garden on for 35 years (1 acre garden)..I had planned to use it for a horse dressage arena..but after 30 years, that soil may be just what I need..if I can cordon it off from my horses I might reuse part of that acre for a small 20x40 garden next year.

Do I just go to my local feed/seed and pick out a bean? For a 6 foot tractor tire.. (5 foot radius inside) how many beans should I plant? create a tepee with bamboo/string to help them climb? I'm just clueless.

I think I'll go out with a shovel to last year's garden soil my neighbor had and just add about 2 inches of that soil to my tire soil..should I dig out my tulips and glads?

So confused..but willing to make this step..we homeschool and it's time to teach the kids about eating food we grow!

Thanks!

Tara

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH