SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
entm

Hello, I have a couple of questions

entm
18 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking the forums here for the last week or so, and I'd like to ask a couple of questions of the Georgia gardeners. I guess I want to do a very informal market survey.

I have been considering becoming self-employed and at least working part-time as a gardener/landscaper. The question is what kind of services could I offer that people would like to have?

Would you all be interested in hiring someone to till, add amendments, plant trees? What about edible landscaping, would you be interested in hiring someone to build such an outdoor environment?

I have been studying up on fruit and berries and I will be doing a number of fruit tree espaliers on my own property this year. I've taken a great interest in edible landscaping and I'm wondering if I could make a living at it.

I worked two years at the Griffin experiment station and am now employed with the GA Dept. of Ag. I've done a lot of extension type work, though not related specifically to gardening.

I've spent the last 15 years learning the proper use, manufacture, and development of chemicals. Now, I find myself reconsidering the use of chemicals altogether. The jump in oil this past year has really made an impression on me. Everything in our society is in some way based upon fossil fuel use. Now, I've come to reconsider whether that is sustainable, let alone environmentally responsible. Almost all our Ag chemicals use petroleum derivatives in their production, and all our inorganic fertilizer requires natural gas to produce. What happens when the oil starts to run out? The cost of producing food will sky rocket.

Apologies if I offend anyone. I am really looking for a better way to live, and I need honest answers before I can make a big jump.

Comments (6)

Sponsored