SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cranebill

Winter damage in northeast

cranebill
20 years ago

The Heath & Heather Nursery website reports hearing from customers of an unusual amount of winter damage to heaths and heathers in the northeast last winter, possibly due to the many deep freezes and subsequent thaws. Some Erica carneas succumbed to stem splitting, which usually tends to affect only Erica vagans. In some gardens, only flower buds were damaged. But elsewhere even some very mature Ericas were devastated, they note, and callunas were also hard hit in some areas.

Maybe this is why some of us are noting that our plants are looking like dried-up little twigs?

Plants with cold protection, e.g. a pine boughs covering, fared much better than those without.

The website offers some suggestions. If damaged by stem splitting, cutting the plants back to the ground will often encourage a flush of new growth. If no growth shows on the tips of branches, the plants were damaged by cold, wind and no snow cover. They recommend cutting back to live wood and a "wait and see" attitude.

Any northeast heath and heather gardeners out there care to report on how their plants came through the winter? Mine seemed to be doing fine up until a couple of weeks ago, when some of the Callunas started looking dull and dry. I've since noticed sparse but new growth slowly spreading on their branches. My Ericas all look great, except for one that was kind of stressed-looking at the start of winter. Yesterday I clipped it to the ground and now I'll... well...wait and see.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery