SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chancegardener

I'd like input from Middle Georgia gardeners

ChanceGardener
12 years ago

Hi, first post here, though I've read posts here for about a year now. I'm near Madison, GA, so I'm looking for advice from folks with a similar climate. Advice from those of you in extreme North and South Georgia might not apply to where I'm at, though I appreciate it all the same. Please note where you're from in your responses if you would be so kind.

Intro:

I got the gardening bug from helping some friends with their garden, so I tried it myself this last year while cramming my brain with as much information as I can. I tried container gardening while I've been working on clearing and improving the soil in my garden area. I've got 2 acres I can work with, but have only cleared a 20' x 40' so far and have been tilling compost into the clay in that area. I'm going to have it tested and keep working on it over the winter for spring planting.

I've been kind of late with just about everything, but for now, just to get started, I am mainly interested in having some things growing and trying to manage the commitment of time to it, I'll hopefully dial things in a little better this coming year.

What I've grown:

I grew/am growing a couple varieties of leaf lettuce. I'm not a fan of the bitter taste of either, but they may be bitter because they grew in the heat, they were started from seed in July. I'm trying again with seed planted in September. Perhaps next year they could be in a shadier spot or with some type of control for the heat -any input is welcome what my problem might have been with those.

My successes have been beets, carrots, green beans, radishes and okra, though with my late start, I didn't yield as much as I would have liked. The beans and the okra are still going though.

I tried garlic, but it apparently wasn't the right time of year to plant it. I'm going to leave it and keep checking on and reading about it to see how it works. In the mean time, I've just planted some more a couple weeks ago and I believe it was the right time.

I've got some onions in the ground and it looks like from the leaves that they're bulbing down there. Time will tell.

I had quite a time with Brandywine tomatoes. They taught me the value of fertilizer, then later, the value of pruning, though it was a late lesson. They didn't do much for about 2 months, until I used some fertilizer, then they shot up several feet until they were over 6 feet and flowering, but no fruit production, at which point I changed to a different analysis fertilizer(did I say that right? -I went to different NPK ratio.) and also trimmed them and got rid of the suckers. Almost overnight they had little tomatoes forming from the flowers and more coming every day. Though it's cooled off and they aren't turning red. I'm still hopeful that I might get a couple of tomatoes yet this year.

My cucumbers have mostly been eaten by worms.

I'm hopeful that the cayenne peppers and jalapenos will get there before the cold shuts me down for the winter. They are producing well, but the jalapenos aren't big yet and the cayennes haven't turned red yet.

What I'd like to know:

I like most vegetables and would like a garden I can eat out of regularly and can out of. I'd really like a plan of what to plant and approximately when, I'd like to know what to plant in its place when it is done producing that can help the soil. And I'd like to use companion planting to help with pests.

Does such a perfect plan exist?

I hope I didn't go on too much.

I'd really appreciate it if you would share your garden plans and how they work out for you. Thanks for reading and for any responses.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!