SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Jarrahdale (upon sampling) has very little flavor

I bought an 18 LB Jarrahdale back in maybe early to mid Oct from a big bin at a Farm Supply store. The bin was labeled Heirlooms and there were all sorts of shapes, sizes, and colors.

I just cut it open, and it looks yellow/orange as pictured on line. There is a hint of a cucumber like smell, and I read on line that that is common for Jarrahdale. I cooked a hunk in a little water, in a covered dish in the microwave, to see what it tasted like before going to a lot of trouble of processing the whole thing for the freezer. Well, there is just not much taste to it at all. I mashed it up with a little margarine.

If I was to bake it, process it, and let it drain before freezing, would that maybe intensify the flavor, since a lot of the wateryness would be gone?

I'm wondering if maybe it was harvested too early, to be sold more as an ornamental, than for actual eating. Could being harvested too early account for its lack of flavor?

The tag on it was from the link below, which is in IL.

Frey Produce

I look forward to your input as I don't know if I should proceed with baking/processing, draining, packaging, and freezing it or not. I had in mind to use it for pies.

tia

Sue

Comments (15)

Sponsored