SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliana63

New plants you'd recommend --or not!

Juliana63
18 years ago

What new (or recently introduced) cultivars have you tried this year? Have they lived up to the hype?

Caryopteris 'Snow Fairy' -- I love this variegated form. It dies back like buddleia, but comes on strong with light blue flowers. The only drawback, the foliage lacks the lavender scent of other caryopteris varieties. In fact, it stinks, so don't brush against it.

Heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine' -- strong bloomer, beautiful foliage, drought tolerant

Heuchera 'Lime Rickey' -- stunning chartreuse, very vigourous

Heuchera 'Peach Melba' -- unusual peach, plum, gold foliage, vigourous

Kalimeris pinnitafida hortensis variegatus -- variegated Japanese aster -- terrific white variegated foliage, considering this as a supplement to Phlox 'Norah Leigh'

Nice, but...

Echinacea 'Sunrise' -- a very pleasant yellow coneflower, but do I need more yellow this time of year? Is it worth the $20 some nurseries charge? No.

Compost...

Geranium 'Rozanne' -- this plant was lauded as a long-blooming replacement for the old stand-by, 'Johnson's Blue,' which flourishes for me. 3 of 4 lanky plants died over the winter (planted near 'J.B.' with same cultural conditions) and I just cut the sorry 4 blooms back to the ground in hopes of rejuvenation.

Comments (27)