SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rayama_gw

Winter squash recipes

rayama
14 years ago

We had a cool snap (not a cold snap, only 60 degrees) so some of my winter squash vines are dying. I harvested the fruit, but a lot of it has little holes from some kind of worm/caterpillar (grrr!!!) So, I'll be eating a lot of winter squash in the next few weeks, and I'd love recipes and suggestions. In that spirit, I offer something I just made tonight.

Here's the inspiring recipe:

Squash Soup

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Prep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: 0 min Cook Time: 40 min Level:

Easy Serves:

4 servings

Ingredients

6 cups (about 2 large squash) seeded 2-inch wide chunks butternut squash

Melted butter, for brushing

1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon

1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon

3 cups chicken or vegetable stock

4 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon minced ginger

4 ounces heavy cream

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Brush the flesh of the squash with a little butter and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon freshly

ground white pepper. On a sheet pan lay the squash flesh side up. Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes or until

the flesh is nice and soft. Scoop the flesh from the skin into a pot and add the stock, honey, and ginger. Bring to a simmer and puree

using a stick blender. Stir in the heavy cream and return to a low simmer. Season with salt, pepper, and

nutmeg.

----------

Here's my recipe:

Toss chunks of peeled butternut squash with butter and Penzey's Sate Seasoning (this includes salt, sugar, garlic, white onion, coriander, shallots, ginger, turmeric, paprika). This is a very subtle seasoning, so use generously. Bake squash until soft. Add squash, 1 can chicken broth. Heat until simmering, then liquify with immersion blender. Add 1 cup cream and stir. This is very yummy, but the color is brown, so it's not pretty. Maybe I'll add some beta carotene (j/j). I think I'll try a batch with coconut milk instead of cream.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!