SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Summer Squash Evaluations (and winter squash)!

I never get a whole lot of squash on my summer squashÂI think maybe because I try to cram so many into such a small spaceÂin the pic, there are 5 varieties shown!

Here are my evaluations of the ones I grew this year.

The far and away best producer I have (for the last 3 years) is Gold Rush. ItÂs a gold, zucchini-shaped one with good flavor, and the seeds stay small even when the squash get big. No matter what else I do with summer squash, Gold Rush is one IÂll always put in!

The other variety IÂve grown for 3 years now is Sunburst. ItÂs a gold scallop squash. It also has a good flavor and the seeds stay small, but this year I only got 2 squash! Not sure yet if IÂll go with it again next year.

A new one I tried this year was Sundance, a creamy-yellow crookneck squash. It had a very good flavorÂbut I only got one squash! Undecided about whether or not to grow it again.

And the other one IÂve been trying each year was Early White Bush, a white patty pan squash. I got a couple small squash this year, they werenÂt as good as the gold ones or the new Sundance variety, and IÂm nixing this one next year.

IÂve never had any luck with the green zucchini and since I really like the gold and white ones, I finally gave up on them. This is the first year I didnÂt try any green ones.

The only other squash I grew this year, and I think itÂs actually a winter squash, was spaghetti squash. I grew it up chicken wire on the fence. (The flowers on the right side of the top picture are the spaghetti squash on the fence!) I tried it one other year, but they didnÂt get big enough to use. This year IÂm not sure if theyÂre big enough or not! I got three that are out in the garage, the longest two being only about 6" long. The skin feels pretty hard on them, but theyÂre nowhere near as big as some I just saw in a store! IÂve never cooked a spaghetti squash before, but in the next couple weeks IÂm gonna give it a try and see what I come out with.

What varieties did everyone else grow, and what did you like about themÂand what did you not like? And how well did they produce?

SquashKid,

Skybird

Comments (5)