SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petal_88

Experience with Panicum 'Northwind?'

petal_88
13 years ago

Hello, I have a spot in my front foundation bed I am hoping to fill with the perfect size, complementary in color/texture with surroundings, perennial. I am left with a narrow space (about 28" diameter - possible to get a little more), after considering what the surrounding shrubs will mature at. Perfect plant would also have to be at least 4 feet tall, because it's going north and east of a group of Ilex glabra Shamrock, west of a Fothergilla Mt. Airy, and south of Cotinus Grace... Oh, what have I done?? :)

I came across someone mentioning Panicum virgatum Northwind, and it sounds like it could fit the bill. I would need something that also doesn't mind being in moist soil at times and doesn't need overly lean soil.

Apologies for the long-winded preface... My questions are:

1. Does Northwind really only get 2-3 feet wide in your experience, like the vendors say?

2. Do you think it would look out of place, being the only grass in a shrub border?

3. Has anyone ever moved this grass after planting it? I am wondering how difficult it would be to dig up if it turns out I was wrong about the spot.

4. If anyone has any other comments or observations about Northwind that could help me decide.

I am Zone 6B in Massachusetts. The area it would be going faces East and gets sun from morning until about 2:00 pm. Soil is sandy now, I would probably amend a bit if advisable. On a slight slope headed down, so drainage is good.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions