SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodhors

SW Michigan Wildflower Viewing Sites

goodhors
18 years ago

I just got my bank newsletter with a number of places to visit in South Western lower Michigan for wildflower viewing. I was quite surprised, had lived near there for years, never knew about them. With the nice weather I thought some folks might be interested enough to go visiting. Sounds like the season to view is now!

First was Dowagiac Woods with the Blue-Eyed Mary flowers found mostly in Cass County. Other attractions there are Trilliums and over 50 kinds of trees with birds and animals. Season starts in April, runs about six weeks for the flowers. Phone 269-782-5998 or 269-782-6476 for information.

Trillium are also featured at the Trillium Ravine Preserve between Buchanan and Niles. It is a 15 acre Preserve off old US-131 and Walton Road on Geyer Road. It also has many wildflowers that bloom early before the trees leaf out. Boots are good attire for the wet ground. No number in my brochure.

Other wildflowers can be seen at the Fernwood Botanical Garden in Berrien County, Michigan. It has a 125ft drop in elevation which has created several natural area communities worth seeing. It also has trails to stroll and 20 different spots of varying plants and flowers. They are open Tues thru Sat. with a $6 fee. They have a phone at 269-695-6491 or a website of:

www.fernwoodbotanical.org

The article said there were other places to visit in Michigan, in Cass, Berrien, St. Joseph counties available thru visiting the bank website of

www.FNBtr.com

and click "newsletter" and the January 2006 Dialog. This is the first newsletter I have gotten and it sure was nice to read about garden and flower places to visit near home! Hope this is helpful to some folks.

Perhaps other folks know of interesting places they could add to this?

Comments (4)