SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

more...Shrubs & Small Trees

girlgroupgirl
14 years ago

I always appreciate a place I can go to pick brains!!!

Today I am researching some shorter shrubs. Not too short- probably 6-8' tall (or easily kept in that range). They can be shrubs which need pruning, but I'd prefer not frequent pruning and more 'shapely' - for example, lorapetalum would not fill the bill for what I need.

Evergreen would be great unless they get so "sticky" they are hard to see through (for example, a friends' deutzia gets so "sticky" you can't see thru it - but it's too wide!)

Not too wide.

Dense.

Full-all day sun by an urban sidewalk. Totally exposed to wind and possible frosts.

Disease and pest resistant. For example, I don't much care for Indian Hawthorne as it can get some problems.

Some ideas already...(and questions attached to them).

prauge viburnum - i have one, mine looses foliage for a bit in the spring (not a lot) and I would like something more dense....

tea olive - can it take the exposure?

camellia sasanqua - same thing. I'm a bit worried about width and the ability to manage sun scald or frost burn. Anyone think of a good cultivar in pink?

Gardenia: what is the most cold hardy for such an exposure?

In the back yard I'm also searching for conifers similar in size, that can take some poor drainage or dry soil. Something not too fussy (does not have to be native).

THANK YOU!

GGG

Comments (17)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!