SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mayland_gw

Does anyone like landscape fabric?

mayland
15 years ago

I have been reading older posts on several GW forums about landscape fabric. Not many people have good things to say about it (unless its underneath a pathway).

We have a couple of (very) large flower beds that we started at about the same time -- one with fabric, the other with newspaper layers, both topped with pinestraw.

So far (a few months later), the bed with fabric remains weed-free, while the newspaper bed is now almost a lawn of Mondo grass that has grown back, in many cases by poking holes right through the newspaper! (We had first cut it short before covering with newspaper, and I have been spraying with round-up since its re-appearance, but it keeps on growing).

We have some more beds to prepare (for shrubs/perennials) and my husband is very tempted to use more fabric, based on our results so far. But, I keep reading how this will eventually fail and will then be an even bigger hassle than just weeds.

I'm curious whether anyone here has had any long-term success with landscape fabric in planting beds? Are there any tricks to make its use successful - or is it unanimous that its just a short-term fix?

Thanks

Comments (11)

Sponsored