SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodburngirl

Planting groundcovers in deep bark mulch?

woodburngirl
18 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie who recently moved into her first house. The previous owner was apparently a bark-o-mulch-oholic. The yard contained a grand total of 9 trees/shrubs/plants, a large lawn, and tons of bark mulch. Most areas contain 6-12 inches of it (except for the places where he had dug a trench around the perimeter of the property, but had not yet gotten around to filling it with mulch).

My question: There's a spot where I would like to plant some tight-to-the-ground groundcovers (Stepable-types), and it's a spot I've discovered has the most mulch of any in the yard--a few inches of bark mulch on top, and underneath a thick layer of large, chunky wood-chip-style mulch. I didn't measure, but I'm sure in some spots it is more than a foot deep. Can I plant little 4-inch pots of groundcover in this? Or should I remove at least some of it and add soil?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but like I said I'm a newbie! I know bark mulch is for the most part a good thing, but I've worried if some parts of my yard have too much of it for shrubs, let alone tiny plants.

Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH