SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Bark chunks vs shredded redwood mulch

Tmnca
10 years ago

Last summer we bought a townhouse with front and back patios/walkways surrounded by border gardens - which were barren patches without even many weeds growing in them and 2 hugely overgrown shrubs inconveniently positioned. I toiled to loosen the soil as deep as I could (it is still severely compacted and drainage is poor) and added compost, turned and planted perennials. I mulched with shredded redwood, which looked pretty nice but a lot of it is now turned into the soil by watering, planting new plants, and moving some around. Some areas still have very compacted soil and the plants are struggling.

The shredded redwood was recommended on this forum, but in the front outside our fence I used some bark chunks which look really nice, and one thing I don't like about the shredded redwood is that it sticks to my cats' fur and gets tracked inside - they have a cat proof patio in back and like to lay among the cat-safe plants. I need to add more mulch for appearance and weed control and I was thinking of going with the bark chunks on top of the remaining think layer of shredded redwood.

Is there any reason shredded redwood is better than bark chunks for improving the soil, keeping down weeds, and retaining soil moisture?

What are the pros and cons of shredded redwood vs bark chunks (mini or regular size). I don't liken dyed mulch of ay kind, these are all natural wood products.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH