SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_bochonko

Need a professional re: erosion/water issues

Kathy Bochonko
18 years ago

Can anyone recommend how to go about finding someone who is really good with fixing erosion/water problems. We have been in this house 3 years now and I just need to do something once and for all about the problems with the water. We have been trying to work with the builder, but they just keep putting bandaids on the problem. The street was put in wrong and the storm drain placed incorrectly, long story short the result is we have had our driveway replaced 3 times now and we still had to barricade the top of it with a banquet table on edge when the remnants of Hurricane Ivan came through last year. Normal heavy rain no longer comes flooding over the top of the driveway but it does rush around the sides of our house, resulting in a mess in the back on both sides. They finally relented and just put a drainbox in on one side of the driveway to collect and redirect some of the water. Well with last nights rains the box was actually lifted out of the ground and was sitting up about 10 inches above the soil level when we got up this morning. The problems are bigger than we can tackle on our own. We have several areas of concern.

I am from the midwest it is all flat farm land up there, I don't even know who to talk to about this. I have called the county and got the run around and I am not sure which department to pursue. I don't want to call someone who is just going to try and sell me a huge landscaping job, but the builders solution to everything is grass, which just moves all the water to the back of the yard as runoff. I am so frustrated right now I could just scream. There is a new subdivision going in next ours and they hit and aquaduct and now that water has been redirected into the common area behind my yard. The trees bordering my backyard are all standing in mud and water and when they start dying (which they will no doubt now) they are going to start falling on the deck we just built (before the aquaduct was hit.) My rock garden is eroding faster than I can fix it. I can see where the water is running off the driveway and eroding under it and really concerned about the amount of water beiong dumped towards the house there. The builder is telling me I need to have someone bring in a truckload of dirt and pack it under there but that seems crazy with a house less than 3 years old. I need someone who is going to be able to help me know what is reasonable for me to expect from my builder, what I should do in regards to this new subdivision and the water problems they have caused and what I just need to fork out the cash and fix myself. Any ideas who I should call?

Comments (3)

Sponsored