SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vmoreno44

OK 4 pumpkin vines to spread onto patio?

vmoreno44
15 years ago

I think I made the wrong choice for placement of my GIANT pumpkin seed!

I have a giant pumpkin plant, about a month old. It looks beautiful...big healthy leaves and a couple baby pumpkins just starting out. Problem is: it's in a small (8'x4') bed with 3 other pumpkin plants (not giant), and a few cucumbers along the edge. The soil is gorgeous, rich with regular sprinkler watering and good drainage. I've put some of my homemade compost in it and everthing in it is thriving, and it's so FUN to watch! My orig plan was to have the pumpkin vines just spread out on the concrete patios that sit to either side of this bed, since there's plenty of room. I thought I'd cushion the pumpkins as they grew so they wouldn't be lopsided. Now I'm reading where it's best to cover the vines w/ soil so it can re-root.

I've approached my husband w/ the idea of building a raised bed for the vines to grow across. He's kinda shaking his head at the whole idea, but of course would do it if I really wanted it :)

I'm just wondering if it's worth it. How important is it for the vines to reroot?

Kinda new at the whole gardening thing, but LOVE it!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting